It's titled PADI Advanced Open Water Diver because it advances your diving knowledge & skills. You don’t have to be “advanced” to take it – it’s designed to advance your diving, so you can start right after earning your PADI Open Water Diver certification.
The course helps build confidence and expand your scuba skills through different Adventure Dives. You try out different specialties while gaining experience under the supervision of your PADI Instructor. You log dives and develop capabilities as you find new ways to have fun scuba diving.
There are two required dives – Deep and Underwater Navigation – and you choose the other three, for a total of five dives.
Get credit! Each Adventure Dive may credit toward the first dive of the corresponding PADI Specialty Diver Course. If you’ve already taken a specialty diver course, ask your instructor if you’ve earned credit for an Adventure Dive.
PADI (Junior) Open Water Divers who are at least 12 years old are ready to step up and enroll in an Advanced Open Water Diver course. Young divers may only participate in certain Adventures Dives – check with your PADI Instructor.
If you’re already an Adventure Diver, you only need to complete two more Adventure Dives to earn the Advanced Open Water Diver certification.
Session 6 - Advanced Open Water
Session 6, (See calendar for dates)
- Please read the medical form to see if you will need to see a physician prior to taking the class.
- Students will need to pick up materials and complete paperwork one to two weeks before the course date.
- Additional equipment may need to be purchased for this course.
- Read the chapters of the Advanced Open Water manual that correlate to the dives that will be done and complete the knowledge reviews.
- Attend a classroom session
- Open water dives are completed over two days.